Hello – it’s been a while!
I got tired of updating you about how I was not doing anything interesting, so I stopped until I was recovered enough to be active.
I am 9 months post-op on my left foot, and 14 months post-op on my right foot. The pictures below show the before and after.
What I love
- I live completely pain-free now.
- I can wear my bike shoes without the constricting pain of the hard material on the bunion.
- When running, not only do my feet not hurt, but my knee pain also went away. I think having a good, stable base is so important.
- I can do any type of physical activity without any concern for the screws or my foot strength or flexibility whatsoever.
What’s not so great
- The scar on the big toe of my left foot is not healing very nicely. The skin is irritated and itches like crazy.
- I can feel the screws on top of my foot, and there are certain shoes I cannot wear depending on where the seams are. I am getting the screws removed at the end of this year.
- I lost fitness. My running pace now is slower than what it was pre-surgery.
What I have accomplished so far
- First post-surgery 5K: Since I was cleared to start walking normally and easing back into workouts, I did 3 months of physical therapy and trained for a 5K in November. It was my second slowest 5K ever at 31:56. See it on Strava.
- Determined to kick my own butt, I signed up for a resolution run and had the goal of sub-30. I made it (barely) with 29:16 (official time) at the Orlando New Years Run in sunny/humid 80-degree Florida and got my first-ever first place AG finish. The race was tiny, though 🙂 See it on Strava.
- Our family tradition – a birthday triathlon to celebrate Bruno’s 32nd birthday. 32 minute swim, 32 minute bike, 32 minute run. It was AWESOME.
View this post on Instagram
It's @brunosalcedo's 32nd birthday, so we started the day with a 32 min swim, 32 min bike ride, and 32 min waterfront run. The birthday TRI is becoming a family tradition! 🏊🏼♀️🏊🏼🚴🏼♀️🚴🏽🏃🏼♀️🏃🏻🎉 — #triathlete #triathlontraining #triathleteintraining #triathlon #sprinttriathlon #swimbikerun #cycling #swimming #runningwoman #runnergirl #runnerscommunity #runnersofinstagram #tritraining #wymtm #whatwentdown #birthdayfun #sweatfest #morningworkout #beforethesunrise #fitfam #fitcouple #fitlife #fromwhereirun #roadtoironman #roadslikethese #runnerslife #hbd🎂 #couplerun #whatidoforfun
- I have 2 half marathons, 3 triathlons, 1 Ragnar relay, and 1 long ride planned this year. I’ll tell you all about it in my next post 🙂