It’s been a while folks. A lot of things have happened since the last time I posted:
- My wife had surgery on her second foot, recovered, and ran her first and second bunion-free 5ks!!
- I finished my PhD, we both got new jobs and moved to Ithaca, NY. Ithaca is indeed gorges as they say.
- Due to injury and work overload, I had to cancel my plans to run the Erie marathon in the fall. Instead, I ran a couple of half marathons and some 5ks. I PRed in both distances and I won my first race (sure, it was only 70 people running it and everybody was hangover from new year’s celebrations, but I am still counting it and crossing it off my bucket list).
- Our cats are adorable as usual.
So, what next? We have two big goals for this year:
- Right before my wife’s surgery, we were getting ready to do our first triathlon. Her recovery went great and she loves her new feet. Looks like the surgery was a great success and the wait was well worth it. But it is now time to go ahead with our plans with two sprint triathlons in the late Spring, and an olympic one in the Summer!
- I am 32 years old, which means I have 3 more years to try to qualify to Boston in the open division. Last two years I struggled with training fatigue, so I am only planning for one BQ attempt this year. I chose the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon because it is flat, fast, beautiful, it is relatively close to where I live, and the dates worked well. I have a good feeling about this one!
View this post on Instagram
2017 race plans ‼️😆 — 🏊🏼🚴🏼🏃🏻: first (!) sprint triathlons in April (Richmond) and June (Happy Valley), Olympic triathlon in August (Cayuga Lake) — 🏃🏻: 26.2 in the fall (Toronto), 13.1 in the Spring (Buffalo), Summer (Ithaca), Fall (Wineglass) and Winter (Nittany Valley), and the PA Ragnar Relay — 🚴🏼: Ride for Life century around Cayuga Lake in the fall — I'm only planning one full marathon this year. It is flat, cold, fast, and hopefully a BQ 🤞🏼 — #2017planning #2017races #2017goals #traininglife #resolutions2017 #resolutions2016 #roadtoboston #roadtoironman #trilife #halffanatics #marathontraining #triathlontraining #triathlete #triathlon #marathonrunner #fitfam #newyearplans #swimbikerun #runningman #runningforlife #trainingplan #runchat #runnerspace #runnersofinstagram #buffalomarathon #wineglassmarathon #ragnar #rideforlife #stwm #bqtraining
The race calendar is already looking pretty full:
- 04.23 —Richmond Tri Club Sprint Triathlon, our fist tri
- 05.28 —Buffalo Half Marathon, my wife’s first post-surgery half
- 06.03 — Ragnar Relay
- 07.02 —Happy Valley YMCA Sprint Triathlon
- 08.06 —Cayuga Lake Olympic Triathlon
- 09.11 — AIDS Ride for Life Century
- 10.01 —Wineglass Half Marathon
- 10.29 —Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon, my next BQ attempt
- 12.03 —Nittany Valley Half Marathon